Friday 22 May 2009

transforming sound into image

For my second project I decided to transform sound into image. Our theme was 'Sanctuary'. My sanctuary is my music (playing or listening). When I hear music I am inspired by the range of colours and shapes that it creates in my mind. I wanted to depict what I see to create a piece of art.
I began by photographing iTunes visualiser.


























This triggered the beginning of a trend in my work by working from the centre.

I then produced two musical improvisations. One based on 'Romeo and Juliet Suite' by Amstrong and the other based on an album by Jools Holland 'Swinging the Blues Dancing the Ska' of rhythm and blues jazz music. I based this piece on photos I took of my soprano saxophone.




I then produced an improvisation A1 piece, mixed media, of the Jools Holland album.


While re-potting a Yucker plant at home I took photos of the exposed roots which were (being an exotice plant) bright reds. I then worked from these producing an A1 oil pastel drawing of the roots. The photos turned out quite freaky but I really liked them. They reminded me of the intertwining movements of melodies in music. It was this that caused me to introduce textiles and threads into my artwork because they natural intertwine and knot together.




artist inspiration for this project: Kandinsky, Philipp Schreibman (New York artist), Anne-Marie Ryan, Kevin Ryan, Paul Klee.